Friday, February 24, 2012

Raw Cheese!!

Raw organic Superfoods - For Optimum Health

For more raw info you are welcome to visit my website @ http://www.raw-food-for-health.com/

Hi Everyone!
I made the most Rawesome Raw cheese the other day- first time too! Here is a picture of the finished product:
Raw cashew cheese, flax crackers and noritos= WOW!! I so love raw food more than "normal" food. When I made my cheese I let it sit out for 48 hours since I like my cheese with muscle aka strong tasting cheese ;-)  I would have eaten it the day before this, but was too lazy to get my camera, so I let it sit in the fridge an extra day, lol. So last night was the big taste test- Rawesomeness!! It wasn't as firm as I would like, but it should firm up more after a few more days of aging in the fridge (if it lasts that long!!) A heart shaped mold is all I have at the moment, which was a bit too small as you can see I had to "mound" the cheese up.


YAY- it slices!! just like REAL cheese!! :)


It's actually more spreadable than slicable, but as you can see it still slices well.

Ingredients:
1 cup soaked cashews
1/2 cup water (which I will try reducing in the future)
1/2 teaspoon acidopholus (any probiotics should work fine)
Blend. I tried putting it in a paint straining bag, but it was too wet so I ended up wrapping the whole thing in 3 layers of cheesecloth too. Set in a strainer over a bowl, place mason jar filled with water on top so as to PRESS the water out (not SQUEEZES the water out- you don't want to squeeze it so you lose all your cheese! Just press gently- a little cheese squishing out is okay, but not too much). Let sit 24-48 hours (lesser for milder cheese).
I unwrapped and placed in a bowl and added 1 t. salt and 2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Then I placed the mold on waxed paper and pressed in the mold and refridgerated- the longer it sits in there the more firm it will become. I got this recipe/method from Russell James, and he says it can stay good for as long as a couple of months! I'm sorry, but I'm sure I will never know! :P

Next time, which will probably be SOON, I will experiment with flavors- garlic in particular :) Can't wait!

Nut Cheese eBook



3 comments:

  1. Oh it's really good!! The next ones will be even better with the garlic and/or herbs. So easy to make- the hard part is waiting!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this is good! I just tried a new raw recipe this evening :)

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete